Monday, March 2, 2015

QuiltCon 2015: Icing on the Cake

The icing on the cake for QuiltCon was winning two awards for my quilts. I couldn't believe it when I got the email a couple days before QuiltCon saying to keep it quiet but that each quilt had one some award, but the email did not say what. I unfortunately could not attend the award ceremony to find out because I had already signed up for a class that started at the same time. Luckily I had friends on the ground that went to the ceremony and texted me what I got (thank you Chrystal and Stephanie!).

Color Play, Second Place in Use of Negative Space


Emergent, Third Place in Piecing



I ended up with a second place ribbon in Use of Negative Space for Color Play and a third place ribbon in Piecing for Emergent. I am still on cloud 9 to think that my quilts were winners! I was excited just to have them in the show. It is such a good feeling to be validated that my work is good and that others like it. I do feel there is a certain element of luck to be one that actually won since there was so much incredible work in the show but boy am I happy anyway!

Congrats to my friend Stephanie for third place in Use of Negative Space! It was an honor to have our quilts hanging together!

If anyone is interested in making Color Play, the instructions are in the book "Lucky Spool's Essential Guide to Modern Quilt Making."

4 comments :

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Congratulations on your wins Kari. Your quilts are wonderful. As a graphic designer like yourself I really appreciate the strong graphic qualities of both. It was really nice to meet you and since we're both fellow Colorado quilters I hope we can meet up again sometime. I'm part of the Boulder MQG. I've enjoyed reading all of your QuiltCon reports. It really was an amazing time.

Debbie said...

Congratulations! That is very cool that you had two wins, and I really enjoyed seeing them both in person!

Leanne said...

I really loved both these quilts in person and I was so pleased to see the ribbons on both as I think they are both well deserved. Congratulations.

Claudia/Ompompali said...

I am so in love with your graphic quilt "Emergent". Where can I find a pattern? Would love to make one!