Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Cute and Scrappy Doll Quilt



My daughter has a birthday party to go to in a week. Her friend wanted some super expensive accessories for her American Girl doll. Instead, I made this little doll quilt that is perfectly sized for an 18'' doll. It's nothing but a 5 x 6 layout of 4'' squares, backed with a fat quarter, quilted with a swirly flower, raw edge appliquéd and bound with some crazy homemade bias binding from my great aunt. The birthday girl really likes purple, and also yellow and green. I raided my scrap bin and everything is from there or my stash.


Speaking of the bias binding, I'm really glad I used that for something like this because now I know how wonky she made it and won't likely use it again. I have a large amount of her handmade bias binding. Three sides look just fine but the bottom got weird. Lesson learned and now my daughter gets to use it for her art collages. I think I'll leave it even though part of me really wants to do it over. I stitched it down with 3 rows of stitching. And it's a doll quilt meant to be played with. The stitching on it looks cute.


I hope her friend will enjoy getting this as a birthday present! It is one of a kind, made just for her.

No comments :